Hymn: Till the Storm Passes By

Thursday, May 15, 2014

K is admitted to the PICU of NUH for the third time (admitted on 28.04.2014). This time, it was due to a lung infection caused by the Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV), and made worse by her existing pulmonary hypertension problem.

According to Medscape, "Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is the leading cause of lower respiratory tract infections (LRTIs) in infants and young children. Each year, 4-5 million children younger than 4 years acquire an RSV infection, and more than 125,000 are hospitalized annually in the United States because of this infection." Usually, a child with RSV can recover in about 1 to 2 weeks, but those who are premature, children less than 2 years of age with congenital heart or chronic lung disease, and children with compromised immune systems due to a medical condition are at highest risk of complications arising from a RSV infection. Adults with compromised immune systems and those 65 and older are also at an increased risk of severe disease. 


This hymn is dedicated to K and my whole family to remind us that there is always good in everything we experience in our lives. We may not understand why unfortunate things happen, but we just have to lean on God for strength and wait till the storm passes by.


Till the Storm Passes By



In the dark of the midnight have I oft hid my face,
While the storm howls above me, and there's no hiding place. 
'Mid the crash of the thunder, precious Lord, hear my cry;
Keep me safe 'til the storm passes by.

Chorus: 'Til the storm passes over,
'til the thunder sounds no more, 
'Til the clouds roll forever from the sky,
Hold me fast, let me stand in the hollow of Thy hand.
Keep me safe 'til the storm passes by.

Many times Satan whispered,
"There is no need to try,
for there's no end of sorrow, there's no hope by and by."
But I know Thou art with me, and tomorrow I'll rise
Where the storms never darken the skies.



When the long night has ended and the storms come no more,
Let me stand in Thy presence on that bright, peaceful shore.
In that land where the tempest never comes, 
Lord, may I dwell with Thee when the storm passes by.



The worst of the storm seems over. K is improving and there are plans to extubate her (be removed from the ventilator that supports her breathing) tomorrow. She is still suffering from some withdrawal due to high doses of sedative drugs (ketamine, fentanyl, precedex and some others) but has been given an anti-withdrawal drug to help her cope with the discomfort of the withdrawals. 

Thank you for walking through the storm with us. Your words of encouragement, SMS, donations, gifts, hugs, actions of love, visits to the hospital, and volunteering to bring Ch and L out have comforted ZY and I during this period. I know we are not alone in this trying period, and God is watching over us and guiding us through each step we take. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Looking for Something Specific?

A part of ...